Monday, November 14, 2011

A word about my Dwarves...

My Dwarves are, obviously, similar to Tolkien's. I mean, I only know of two types of Dwarves--the short little guys with the pointy hats from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (who do nothing but bicker, argue, sleep, and nothing in general from what I can remember), or the strong, fierce guys from the Lord of the Rings movies who don't get along well with Elves and like to mine for gold.
So, obviously, I'm going to choose the latter to base my Dwarves on.
Anyway, it is true that my Dwarves are short-ish, stocky, strong, and can't stand the sight of Elves. But there's a few differences as well.
For instance, Tolkien's Dwarves all had beards, and most of them had ginger or brown hair. They preferred axes for weapons.
My Dwarves have beards, true, but not all of them. And some of them have black hair, there are a few who have blond, etc. It's not limited to red or brown. Also, they use any sorts of weapons, from spears to swords to clubs to, yes, axes.
Anyway. My Dwarves live underground in caverns and caves, yeah. These caves can be found underneath the moorlands, and are quite extravagent.
That's another huge difference between my Elves and Dwarves. My Elves like pretty stuff, but they don't overdo it. As a matter of fact, the palace is the only place that's silver and white, and it's not actually made of any sort of precious metal or stone; it's inlaid with it. Similar to how the Ark of the Covenant was made of acacia wood and inlaid with gold; it wasn't actually gold.
My Dwarves, however, are obsessed, in a way. Anytime they find something that they think looks beautiful, it's taken back to where they live to be used as some sort of decoration. There's a lot of green, blue, and red stones and what-have-you. Brass, bronze, expensive fabrics, jewel-encrusted weapons, fancily embroidered clothing, armor, glossy wood of red and white, and anything else you can think of can be found at any spot of the Dwarven city.
Oh, I never mentioned what the Dwarven city is called, did I? I may have, briefly, but all the same...It's called Kazad, which basically means 'earth-dwellers' in Dwarven.
Other than that, I don't have any other words from the Dwarven language; there's only one, and that's explained rather easily.
There's this underwater monster called the Nekark. Now, 'Nekark' supposedly means 'frightening one' in the Dwarven Language.
Now, I'll tell you how I came up with that. Actually, I won't. I'll just tell you how to figure it out. Read 'Nekark' backwards, or write it backwards, or whatever. You'll see the point.
And then all the movie lovers or myth lovers will be, "Oh, man, how could I have not noticed that?!"
Yeah. XD
Well, that's about all I have to say on the Dwarves...if I think of anything else, I'll put it in a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and appreciated! It's always nice to know that there are still a few people who read this!