Monday, November 14, 2011

A Word About My Elves...

Anyway, if you despise those lessons in school about people and why they live in certain places and what their languages are and etc., etc., etc., read no further.
...Technically, that means I shouldn't even be writing this, as I normally am bored to tears with those lessons. Oh well. XD
Right. Let's begin. WARNING: I may lapse into totally different subjects about the Elves at certain points. That is because I ramble a lot. Sorry. If it gets too confusing, no one says you have to continue reading.

My Elves are, I must admit, similar to Tolkien's Elves, and the Elves from Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle. Then again, Paolini probably was inspired by Tolkien's Elves, so either way, my Elves are similar to Tolkien's, end of discussion.
Anyway, in my book, there are several races of Elves. There are the Light Elves, also known as the Sola Elves, or the Solas Elves, since Sola(s) is how you say 'light' in their language. Then there are the Dark Elves. They have another name, based on their language, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Then there a few other races of Elves who aren't mentioned in my book (mostly because I haven't come up with the ideas for them yet), and then there are Half-Elves. That's kind of self-explanatory; Half-Elves are part human, part Elf.
So. Most of my Elves are similar to Tolkien's in appearance. They have long hair, are extremely good at using bows and arrows, they're tall, and have very intelligent eyes. However, my Elves don't have pointed ears. Granted, they're just very slightly tapered at the top, but that's it.
I can hear a few of you complaining that that's ridiculous, and that Elves HAVE to have pointed ears. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. They don't.
The different races of Elves look different from each other. The Light Elves tend to have red or blond hair, and light green or blue eyes. The Dark Elves usually have black or dark brown hair. Their eyes are any color, but way darker than normal.
Then there are the Elves who are neither Dark nor Light. These are the ones who had one Dark Elf parent and one Light Elf parent. These Elves tend to have hair in varying shades of brown.
The Half-Elves can look like anything. Usually, they tend to look mostly human, but with slight Elven features.
Anyway, that's what they look like. They have very different personalities as well. The Light Elves don't trust strangers, but they're very willing to offer their assistance if they believe in the cause. Most of them are very cautious when they first meet you.
Dark Elves are the same, except they're not very willing at all to help someone they don't know. However, Dark Elves are extremely easy to bribe, threaten, or blackmail. This makes them easy to recruit to armies, no matter how evil the army is.
Again, Half-Elves are like humans. Any sort of personality.
Most of the Light Elves live in Daerdan. This is a kingdom in the middle of an extremely large forest called Caunion Forest. In case you're wondering, 'Daerdan' means 'white river', and 'Caunion' means 'secret', or 'secretive'.
The Dark Elves live all they way across the Sea of Korum, in underground caverns. They prefer it dark, and where else to get that darkness but underground? Sometimes, other Elves tease the Dark Elves about being more Dwarf than Elf.
The Half-Elves either wander around, or live in their very own 'Half-Elf Town'. This town can be found on the southern end of the Nameless Wood. It's called 'Aeroch'nor'. That means 'Twilight People' in a certain dialect of Elven. There's a story behind that. The Half-Elves consider true Elves to be the daytime, and humans to be the night. This makes Half-Elves the twilight.
My Elves are NOT immortal, like Tolkien's Elves. Rather, mine live a very long time, but they're not immortal. They can be killed.
Tolkien's Elves, when and if they die, just come right back again, in a different form. And they still have all of their memories from their previous life. At least, that's what I read somewhere.
Also like Tolkien, my Elves can't stand Dwarves. And they can't stand Faeries, either...as a matter of fact, they prefer just to keep to themselves.
Let me see, is there anything I'm missing...? I could go on and on about my Elven history, but I won't. First of all, I could NEVER write up a whole history book on it, like Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Second of all, you've probably stopped reading a few paragraphs ago anyway. : )
In case anyone was wondering, I got the inspiration for my Elven Language from Gaelic, Celtic, and other similar languages. Currently, it's just Gaelic, but I'm planning on doing some research about Celtic and what-have-you.

I'll stop boring you now. Now, to use a farewell that the Elves use;

Mise durachd thusa ciuin. I wish you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged and appreciated! It's always nice to know that there are still a few people who read this!