Tuesday, July 26, 2011

An Excerpt Out Of My Camp NaNoWriMo Novel

(NOTE: THIS IS COPYRIGHTED. YOU CANNOT, IN ANY WAY, REINVENT ANY OF THE CHARACTERS, NAMES, PLACES, PLOTS, OR OTHERWISE.)

Chapter One
Curses and Magic





All eight of them stood motionless for several minutes before someone spoke.

"Wh-why don't we put the weapons a-away, and we can ta-talk this over first?" stammered a young man in a green uniform.

"Sounds like a plan to me," said the youngest-looking stranger.

Amir hesitated, his swords never wavering. Then he swiftly resheathed them. "As you wish," he answered, bowing.

"Wait just a minute," the man with the covered face snapped. "How in blazes can we understand each other? I mean, look at you!" He pointed at Amir. "You're a blasted foreigner!"

In truth, my friend, I live here, which makes you the foreigner, thought Amir, feeling considerably annoyed.

"Why don't we all introduce each other and start from there?" suggested the youngest one.

So they did, albeit very reluctantly. All except the stranger who was cloaked head from toe in black. They remained silent.

Amir felt a little more relaxed now that he knew the names of the strangers.

"I still don't get how we can understand each other," complained Shawn, the man who had had his face covered a moment ago. Amir noted that the left side of Shawn's shirt was soaked with blood.

I'll ask him about it later, Amir decided. Out loud, he answered, "It is magic, most likely."
"Heck, I don't believe in magic!" scoffed Shawn. "I don't get how anyone can!" At this, he shrugged, then grimace in pain, his blond-brown hair falling across his face.

Amir sighed, fixing his dark eyes on Shawn. "Only those who know its power truly believe in magic."

"I don't care what it was! I need to go help put out the fire in my barracks!" protested the man who had introduced himself as Jean.

"Find a way on your own, then," Amir said. "I must continue on with my mission."
"What kind of mission?" Leo asked curiously.

"Something sinister is lurking inside that pyramid, most likely guarding the dead Pharaoh's treasure. I have been commanded to investigate," responded Amir, turning to leave.

"Treasure?" Shawn repeated, eyes wide.

"Wait!" said Daniel. "We'll come with you!" He paused, then amended, "Well, I'll come with you. After all, where else am I going to go?" He didn't seem as if he wanted to go back to where he had come from anytime soon.

"Treasure?" Shawn repeated.

Amir shrugged, ignoring the cowboy's awed voice. "Any of you may come. Just do not touch anything, and, above all, do not disobey my orders. It could mean your life if you do."

"Treasure?" Shawn repeated.

The person in black glared at him. "Just shut up! Yes, the man said treasure! So what?" The person's voice was oddly feminine.

Amir peered at the stranger. "What is your name? You were quiet before, when we were introducing ourselves."

The stranger heaved a sigh, and unwrapped the black scarf from around their face, revealing long black hair and flashing eyes. "My name is Miyuki Rin. And this--" She gently slipped a black mouse from her sleeve. "--is Ryuu."

The mouse jumped down and promptly began to change shape. Eventually, it became a small, orange and black tiger.

Amir was only mildly surprised. "A shapeshifter. Am I right?"

"Yes," Miyuki replied. She was young; only about 16.

Amir nodded. "Ah. Well, I must go." He turned and walked forward, not stopping until he reached the entrance of the pyramid.

He glanced over his shoulder once before entering. Despite the stony silence of most of the men, all of them were following.

Amir walked inside, being careful where he stepped. Traps were set everywhere in pyramids.

Everyone followed his exact steps. Everyone except Shawn.

The outlaw was looking around with sharp, hazel eyes, searching for treasure, no doubt. He strayed off the main path just a few feet, and his boot came down on top of a small metal button that was hidden by dust and cobwebs.

There was a grating sound, and Amir whirled around. A huge stone was coming down in the entrance, blocking it off!
"No!" Amir ran forward, trying stop the descent of the large rock. He couldn't, and it went down completely.

They were lost in the dark corridors of the pyramid...and none of them knew what might be lurking around corners and hiding in the shadows.

3 comments:

  1. Nice!! xD...I didn't know about Camp NaNo.. I wanna join but I think it's a bit late already... well... gonna wait for November then! But Nice job on your novel!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged and appreciated! It's always nice to know that there are still a few people who read this!